Saturday, November 27, 2010

Magick: My Initiation Into Kitchen Witchery

From Evernote:

Magick: My Initiation Into Kitchen Witchery

For those who are interested in Magick. Turn ordinary cooking into a meaningful and fun experience with the magick of Kitchen Witchery! Enjoy!

Peace & Love - 

My Initiation Into Kitchen Witchery

27NOV2010Leave a Comment

by Dragon in Spiritual Practice 

I have a secret to confess.  I’m not a very good cook.  At least, I don’t think so.  I mean, I can follow a recipe if given to me and the results will often be palatable or better, but to me that is not cooking.  Cooking is what my friend Meredith does. She can walk into a kitchen – any kitchen – see what’s on the shelves and in the fridge and whip up something delicious. Some people just have a culinary gift.  They have a sixth sense about how flavors and textures should go together and they possess the skills to combine them beautifully.  I am not one of the gifted, which made my decision to begin practicing kitchen witchery a bit daunting.

 

I’ve been interested in domestic witchcraft for years and have been magickally fortifying my living spaces since I was a neophyte in the Craft.  The one place I never flexed my magickal muscles, however, was the kitchen.  I was always too intimidated.  Then I attended a workshop at this year’s Pagan Pride taught by Dawn Hunt, founder of Cucina Aurora. Her fun and upbeat introduction to kitchen witchery was just what I needed to light my culinary candle and to brush away the cobwebs of fear.

Following Dawn’s example I purchased a cute black apron that has “witch” bedazzled in red across the chest.  This apron has become my ritual robe for performing kitchen witchery.  I also bought a small pumpkin spice-scented, magickal housewarming candle that I light before performing any kitchen magick.  Now I have a little ritual I perform before baking or cooking.  I begin by making sure my kitchen is clean.  That’s a given in my OCD world.  I wash my hands and happily slide into my apron.  Then I light the candle and say a quick prayer to Hestia.  I ask Her to inspire me with Her sacred light and to help me prepare food that is both nourishing and delightful.  When performing longer kitchen rituals I will cast a whole circle and invite the spirit of the elements, as well.

Ritualizing my work in the kitchen has done many things for me.  It has given me structure, which has boosted my confidence.  Now when I prepare food it always feels meaningful and fun.  Working in the kitchen has changed from a domestic chore into a time for personal expression.  I love spending time in the kitchen now and it seems like everything that I produce is touched with a bit of magick and joy, even if I do make a few mistakes. :{  As my confidence in the kitchen grows I hope to become bolder with recipes, learning to branch out and experiment a little.  This is a whole new, delicious path that I’ve embarked on and I can’t wait to see where it leads me.

Posted from http://pentaclesandpavement.wordpress.com/2010/11/27/my-initiation-into-kitchen-witchery/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Great Deals from Amazon!